Istanbul not only has historical monuments and mosques, also provides a large number of museums where the art lovers can enjoy a cultural and artistic trip in the biggest city of Turkey.
- Archaeological Museum:This museum is probably the most important in its field in the world. This museum presents an incredible collection of objects of incalculable value and importance, such as the Alexander Sarcophagus. The Archaeological Museum is divided in three different galleries:
- The Main Gallery: where we can contemplate the beauty of some of the world’s most famous objects. The centerpiece of this section is the Alexander Sarcophagus.
- Oriental Art: this part of the museum exhibits great objects from different cultures like the Egyptian, Sumerian or Akkadian.
- Ceramics and Jewelry: This last gallery of the museum, located in the pavilion of the tile, we can see some of the pottery and some jewelry most beautiful and curious of Turkey. The majority are priceless objects.
- Museum of Turkish & Islamic Art: is one of the most important museums in Istanbul, located on the Ibrahim Pasa Palace, has an extensive collection of symbolic objects in the history of Istanbul and Turkey. In this museum we can find a great collection of Turkish carpets, pottery, sculptures, different versions of the Qur’an, etc …
Other curious museums in Istanbul are:
- Museum Atatürk: was the Atatürk’s house, currently is a gallery where we can find his personal items.
- Museum of Calligraphy.
- Museum of Modern Art.
- Carpets Museum: amazing museum with a large collection of the most beautiful carpets of Istanbul.